Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Wow, the All-Star Game Doesn't Suck

I wasn't planning on watching the All-Star game. I thought I'd have a night off from baseball and write some posts about non-sports related topics.

However, when I came in from playing Frisbee, the shower was being used, and I turned on the tube to kill some time.

I am happy I did. The MLB All-Star game is great.

The only reason I'd ever watch the NBA All-Star game is to hear Charles Barkley, the only reason I'd watch the pro-bowl is if I had a gun to my head. However, the MLB All-Star game is of a completely different breed.

I can watch the game with pride, seeing David Wright snag a diving ground ball in the top first, and Jose Reyes score in the bottom first. Not to mention Reyes having the chuptzpa to steal second with Barry Bonds at the plate. (I just put on my Mets hat).

I can watch the game with awe, seeing Ken Griffey Junior, Barry Bonds, and Carlos Beltran in the same outfield (not the last one so much). Looking in the AL dug-out and seeing A-Rod, Ichiro, and Manny.

I can watch the game with disgust, seeing Prince Field jog to cover first and then drop the incoming throw from Chase Utley.

I can watch it with a laugh, seeing Eric Byrnes dog swim off to Alcatraz.

The NBA All-Star game is just a bunch of guys fooling around and throwing alley-oops. However, baseball doesn't take nearly the effort of basketball, so players take the game so much more serious.

Seeing Kobe and Lebron on the same court isn't nearly as cool as seeing A-Rod and Griffey. The historical significance of MLB's greats means so much more to me than that of NBA's stars.

Jose just got another hit!

Now if only the Mets broadcasters were doing the game...

No comments: