Thursday, July 5, 2007

Ben Franklin and Co. Would be Proud

Yesterday was one of the more entertaining days of my life.

First, I was witness to an American triumph, as Joey Chestnut became the new hot dog king.

Then, I watched possibly the best movie I've ever seen--Ratatouille.

Before yesterday, I hadn't seen a Pixar movie in theaters since Toy Story. That came out in 1995. 12 years later, it is remarkable to see how far Pixar has progressed.

I don't know if there's ever been a film that is so truly suited for all audiences. The three college students I went with were laughing constantly, the five year old behind me had seen the movie at least three times, and the mom in front of me was clearly loving it. If you see one movie this summer, see Ratatouille.

I am tempted to see the movie again in the very near future. There are so many scenes that I wish I could pause just to capture all the details that Pixar some how loads into every second of the film. Yet, if I pause the movie, then I will be missing out on the subtle movements that Pixar has similarly mastered. Watching Remy the rat scamper across Paris was a thrill to behold. Who, but Pixar, would be able to pull off a motorcycle chase with a rat?

Ratatouille and the Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest send drastically different messages. Ratatouille tells us that it's not how much you eat, but what you eat. The contestants in Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest would clearly tell you otherwise.

Yet, the two tell us one thing--great entertainment can come in different sizes, shapes, and even species. Great entertainment can be as subtle as a rat running through a sewer, or as brash as a dethroned hot dog king holding back a reversal.

Don't be too quick to judge, they both tell us, because greatness can emerge from the most unlikely of places.

2 comments:

Ricardo said...

If you haven't seen any Pixar movies since Toy Story, you have certainly been missing out.

The Incredibles and Finding Nemo are two of the most amazing things ever created. Pixar does an great job - as you alluded to - of pulling people of all ages in. They frequently sneak in allusions to mature subjects into what ostensibly are children's movies. Their animation is almost hypnotic. Even if Ratatouille failed at weaving a decent plot, I would still go see it.

Let me know if you guys decide to go see it again this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Let's not get carried away, JT.