Monday, July 16, 2007

The Vegan Dessert Question of the Week!

I think of myself as a pretty avid sports fan, yet there are a number of rules/strategies that I just don't understand. Most I can push aside as too intricate or rare to bother myself with.

However, there is one unknown rule that I really want to uncover--the checked swing. I have absolutely no idea what makes a checked swing a strike. What's it have to do with the writsts? Does it have something to do with the first/third base line? What does the first/third base ump know that the homeplate one doesn't?

I hate how I can't ever yell at the TV over a checked swing, since I never know what's the right call. Checked swings can have a very large impact on a game baseball, and I am oblivious to what a checked swing is. I get the sense sometimes that no one knows what makes a checked swing.

Please help me. What is an umpire looking out when deciding whether a checked swing should be a strike?

2 comments:

Ricardo said...

I always figured that a check swing strike occured when batter's wrists crossed his chest. Not sure why, though.

Anonymous said...

As it turns out, there is actually no such thing as a "check-swing" criterion in the official rules. It's completely up to the umpire as to whether or not the batter "struck at" the ball.

See http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0509/06/C12-303338.htm.