Monday, July 2, 2007

A Shout Out to an Old Guy

Yesterday, I went out of my way to bash Julio Franco, the oldest player in the major leagues. Today, on MetsBlog, a similar post was up. It seems that Mets fans are in agreement that Julio must go.

When I spoke to my mom on the phone today, she seemed to be taken aback by my unabashed bashing of Franco. So now I'm going to make up for it--I'm going to praise someone even older and more washed up than Julio Franco: George Benson.

Today, while working in the lab, I listened to the CD "Best of George Benson" about five times. I have to admit that it's a pretty sweet CD. By the end of the day, I was joyously singing along to Benson's guitar riffs. Benson is laid back, yet his music still has substance. His music is perfect for when you're doing work--it won't distract you, but you'll still enjoy it.

This is not to say Benson is good now. He's as over the hill as Franco. However, it's nice to know that he was at least once a very talented musician.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But wasn't Franco once a very talented baseball player? I don't see how you're giving old people a break.

By the way, why don't you send a link to your deadspin post to deadspin itself? Maybe they'll give the VD a little PR. (By the way, did you realize that the acronym for your blog is VD? Ugh.)

Anonymous said...

"As for myself, I will confess that the only thing that kept me watching “License to Wed” until the end (apart from being paid to do so) was the faith, perhaps misplaced, that I will not see a worse movie this year."

A.O. Scott on "Licenced To Wed." Oof.