Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Vegan Dessert Question of the Week!

I don't like too many of the Asian dishes served at Valentine Dinning Hall, be it the ubiquitous Orange Ginger Chicken, tonight's Sweet and Sour Chicken, or several others. They're a bit too heavy for my taste.

However, each time one is served, I can count on one thing--there will be a bin fortune cookies at the end of the buffet line.

Fortune cookies are great. They're fun to eat. They illuminate the world. And they are an instant conversation starter.

For example, today's fortune: "Courage is grace under pressure."

Huh?

This led to a conversation of what is grace. And then to how we (Miller and I) act under pressure.

Eventually, the conversation led to this week's important question--are fortune cookies an purely American/Western dish or are they actually served in China?

I learned this summer that California Rolls are not served in Japan (I guess I should have realized this given the name), and it'd be interesting to know if the same is true for fortune cookies in China.

No comments: