Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Vegan Dessert Question of the Week!

It's been a while since I did a question of the week, and it's a very good cop-out when I don't know what to write about.

This week's question ventures into the shameless promotional gimmicks of ESPN. Currently, on espn.com, the daily polls asks "Who should win the Hummer like nothing else award?" It then lists: Lebron James, Michael Phelps, Kendric Smith, Diana Taurasi, Ladainian Tomlinson.

If someone can tell me what the heck this award is for, then you get a prize. Typically, an award is called something like "The Coke-Zero Courage Award" or the "Wrigley's Jaw Dropping Performance Award," so that the advertising doesn't completely overshadow the award's purpose. However, in this case, I have absolutely no idea what the "Hummer like nothing else award" is for. Also, extra bonus points for whoever can tell me who the heck is Kendric Smith?

On the topic of shameless promotions, Lebron James and Jimmy Kimmel, the hosts of this year's ESPYS, are on the cover of the current ESPN magazine . Is this the first time that a sports magazine has had an advertisement on the cover?

I used to actually look forward to the ESPYS, when there were commercials during Sportscenter revealing the nominees for the different awards. By showcasing the great plays and games of the year, it was a fun way to review and take in the endruing moments of the year in sports.

Now, lets just say, I no longer look forward to the ESPYS. Like everything else on ESPN, fluff has gotten in the way of the substance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my question: Who is Cedric Smith?

Anonymous said...

Oops, I guess I should finish the post before I comment. But to answer your question, I think the winner goes to the athlete that consumes the most energy and emits the most gas.