Monday, July 9, 2007

ESPN is En Fuego: Dan Patrick to Leave Station

When I say ESPN is En Fuego, I don't mean it in a good way. It is not the Michael Jordan, Lebron James on fire, but rather the Hindenburg on fire.

Dan Patrick, a longtime ESPN personality, announced today that he will leave the station on August 17.

I haven't heard from Dan much as of late, since I never listen to ESPN radio. However, when I was in elementary and middle school, watching Sportscenter every morning before school, Dan Patrick was a big reason why. Back then, ESPN was able to pull off a special balance between substance and silliness. Because of anchors like Patrick, I never dared watch sports highlights on the much drier MSG or Fox Sports Net.

In the past few years, the balance has dramatically shifted towards silliness. That, or I'm simply older and cannot take it anymore. Either way, Patrick was the man in the days when ESPN dominated my life.

On a somewhat related subject, whatever happened to "Did you know?" That used to be an ESPN staple and it has quietly disappeared. I suppose ESPN fired all its stat-geeks and replaced them with joke writers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Potential replacements:
1. Sid Rosenberg
2. Harold Reynolds
3. Takeru Kobayashi
4. Will Leitch
5. Selena Roberts
6. Stephen A. Smith
7. Delilah
8. Anton Ego
9. Bob Barker
10. UkraineNotWeak
Who would you vote for?