Sunday, July 22, 2007

Miller and JT Go to the Notch

Sorry we haven't churned out too many posts this weekend. Usually, the weekend is primetime for posts, since we generally don't have much else to do. However, this weekend was a bit different than normal. Miller and I were busy--busy climbing to the "Notch" of the Mt. Holyoke Range.

I can't speak for Miller, but I am not exactly the adventurous type, and to me, this was quite the adventure.

Typically, to hike to the Notch, Amherst students drive to The Notch Visitor Center and go up from there. It probably takes an hour or so.

For some reason, this didn't seem right to us. A hike should not be preceded by a drive to a nicely paved parking lot.

Instead, we decided to leave by foot from Amherst, and not stop until we made it to the Notch. We didn't care how we got there; in fact, we didn't really know how we were going to get there. All we knew is that were not turning around until we reached our destination. If it meant sleeping in the woods for the night, so be it.

I am proud to say that we did not have to sleep for a night.

5 1/2 hours and roughly 14 miles (we think) in, we made it to the Notch Visitor Center. Along the way, we faced our fair share of troubles.

The Robert Frost Trail (which we thought we could take all the way) suddenly ended with a field of tall grass.

A motorcyclist completely dressed in black circled around us on a completely deserted road. He said he thought one of us was his friend. I almost wet my pants.

Horseflies. Snakes. Toads. Slopes. Fatigue. Dehydration.

If you couldn't tell, I'm trying to make this seem as hardcore as I can. It makes me feel kind of good about myself. It makes me feel like Bear Grylls--the pure definition of hardcore.

Even if it wasn't as "H" as I am trying to make it seem, it was a great way to spend a day. It might have been wiser to bring along better mapage, but it definitely would not have been as enjoyable an experience.

Next up? Mt. Everest or Mt. Holyoke. We haven't decided yet.

Whatever we decide, we'll be sure to recount our experience on the VD.

(Note: The above photo is of the Holyoke Mountain Range, taken from the Amherst College War Memorial.)

No comments: