Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Vegan Dessert Flashback: Playmakers

I don't think I need to say much more about Who's Now. Every one's been on top of it, including Sports Illustrated, WFAN, and Deadspin.

Just now in Newsweek, I read a column by Devin Gordon that consisted of a bashing of ESPN as a whole, with Who's Now as the centerpiece. There was one line in the piece that grabbed my attention more than anything I've read or heard since T.I. met SportsCenter met Jessica Biel.

"It has led to the occasional gaffe, like ESPN's decision to cancel its well-regarded drama 'Playmakers' after the NFL complained about the show," Gordon writes.

Did he say Playmakers? Wow. I completely forgot about that show. Can I get it on DVD from the Amherst Library?

There is so much to say. I don't remember the show too well, but I'll do my best to highlight the characters and plot lines that made this one of the most audacious, ridiculous, and great shows to ever appear on the tube.

First, there was Demetrius Harris, aka DH. Played by Omar Gooding, aka the host of "Wild and Crazy Kids." DH was the up-and-coming star running back who hung with the wrong crowd and made all the wrong decisions. In the defining moment of the entire season, a doctor used a catheter to insert clean piss into DH, so that he wouldn't fail an impending drug test (he had gotten high days before). Watching the pee insertion was probably one of the most bizarre, disturbing, and uncomfortable moments ever on cable TV.

Then there was Leon Taylor, the aging veteran running back, played by Russell Hornsby. As far as I can remember, the guy was a complete di** who cheated on his wife, cheated in football, and solely cared about advancing his career. Oh, I just found some more about Leon that I had forgotten--he beat his wife.

There was Eric Olczyz, played by Jason Matthew Smith. He was big, good, and like everyone else on the show, completely messed up. He impregnated some random girl on a one night stand. He had to see a shrink because of post-traumatic stress. Yet, for some reason, he was always my favorite character.

Then there was the gay player, who had to hide his secret. There was the head coach, who had cancer. There was the equipment guy, who wanted to start a career in college coaching. And there was the theme song, which was freaking awesome. Here's a clip of the intro, to remind you of the show that was.



I had to go through espn.go.com/eoe/playmakers to refresh my memory on a lot of this. Here is a passage I read while searching the site which embodies the greatness and awkwardness of the show. It is in the summary for Episode 8:

"While lifting weights, Guerwitcz learns that Trent King went off steroids because it was affecting his performance in the bedroom. Guerwitcz uses the steroid excuse when his machinery doesn't work with August. Later, on a tip from Trent King, Guerwitcz gets help in the bedroom with some of Trent's manly medication."

I really don't understand why the NFL would want ESPN to cancel it. Shame on them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the Bronx is Burning?

Anonymous said...

Rewatching this series, Leon Taylor is way more sympathetic than he sounds like in your post. D.H. is clearly the villian of the whole thing as the allstar RB who managed to have everything turn out his way because he could flash around his wallet and talent. Frankly, all the guys in Playmakers were a mess. Still damn good television, though. Glad someone else remembers it.