Monday, July 30, 2007

Trading Day

Some thoughts on today's trades in the NBA and MLB:

Garnett to the Celtics: So I've revised this analysis three times in the past hour. First I destroyed the trade since it leaves the Celtics with nothing besides the big three. Then, I hesitatingly approved of it, since the Ray Allen trade had gotten the team stuck somewhere between rebuilding and going all out, and this trade officially put them in the going all out category. Now, I'm going to have to admit I have no right saying anything on the trade. I always bash ESPN commentators for not knowing what the hell they're talking about, and when it comes to the NBA, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I couldn't recognize Al Jefferson if he was standing right in front of me with a Celtics jersey on.

I stopped intensively following basketball when the Knicks started sucking. All that TNT ever shows is the West, and that's pretty much all I ever watch (since I go to school outside the New York region). Now, I'm no longer an NBA fan; I'm a Gilbert Arenas fan.

Louis Castillo to the Mets: At first, this trade really bummed me out. Ruben Gotay has been playing great as of late, and I've loved to watch his Reyes like excitement. Just yesterday, I started to imagine a Gotay, Wright, Reyes infield for the next decade. However, nothing gold can stay, and this move is a great insurance policy should anything go wrong with Gotay. We know what we're getting in Castillo--a great fielder who can get on base, maybe show some speed, and has playoff experience. Can't argue with that, considering we only gave up two fringe prospects. (Sorry I used "we" so much).

Mark Texiera to the Braves: Bring it on Atlanta.

Kyle Lohshe to the Phillies: Loshe's Stats: 6-12 with a 4.58 ERA. Bring it on Philly?

No comments: