Monday, June 25, 2007

The Vegan Dessert Question of the Week!

First off, congratulations to Esteban, the winner of last week's question of the week. He came up huge in the clutch, when it seemed like no one would respond.

Today's question of the week is a simple question gone awry: Paper or Plastic?

When I was little, the answer seemed very clear--choose plastic in almost every situation because it's easier to carry and it doesn't kill trees. Back then, debates surrounding the environment were so clear--something was environmentally friendly if it didn't kill tree and something was environmentally unfriendly if it did kill trees.

Now there's global warming along with energy Independence to worry about, and the question of paper v. plastic has gotten much more complicated.

Plastic apparently uses oil to be produced and also somehow contributes to global warming in the production process. I just came across an article that says Ikea is now charging a nickel for a plastic bag in all their American stores.

Please, help me. What do you do--Paper or Plastic--and why?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always use plastic because its so much easier to carry. However, I saw on the news that a number of places (parts of San Francisco if I remember correctly) are handing out cloth bags and encouraging customers to reuse them each time. Sounds like a pretty good solution to me.