Friday, June 8, 2007

Field Diary- Day Negative One

Yes, my post title implies that tomorrow, the first day of the Amherst College Western Paleontological Edification Expedition, is day zero. Necessary preparations have been made. Unfortunately, I did not consolidate the tortilla chips and trail mix with the field gear. Ah well, mistakes are unavoidable. My advisor, Professor Hagadorn (or Whitey, to the world), forgot his sleeping back on the two week excursion to Death Valley he returned from on Monday. The foray survived in one piece, although one of the participants forgot the very expensive field cameras at his home in New Jersey. Luckily they arrived at Amherst College via mail today, in a cooler.

Has anyone ever driven a van that measures approximately 20 feet in length? I know I have not, although I will soon log well over 1,000 miles of highway driving in such a vehicle. Out of those thousand plus miles, humorously, only a few feet will be truly harrowing--those traversed in reverse. On the return trip, the vehicle will be filled with many hundreds of pounds of sandstone slabbage. I dread the braking distance.

Massachusetts to Wisconsin in 24 hours. That is the itinerary for the zeroth day. Godspeed, Miller.

No comments: