Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Olympic Torch Climbs Everest--What Next?

In today's Op-Ed of The New York Times, there was an article about how the Olympic torch relay will ascend to the summit of Mt. Everest. The writer derided the cause as another way sacred Mt. Everest is being destroyed by an influx of attention along with rich, ignorant, climbers.

To me, the idea seems pretty awesome. Managing to keep a torch lit all the way to the top of Everest--that is remarkable.

I just tried to list some cooler places an Olympic torch relay could go, but I honestly can't think of any. I was going to say the moon. And maybe under water somewhere. But the summit of Mt. Everest? That is redic.

Let us know where else you think the torch should go.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I still can't believe a torch is going to stay lit all the way to the top. I thought it was kind of hard to climb Mt. Everest (see: Into Thin Air). Don't you need two free hands?

No comments: