Thursday, June 14, 2007

Farewell Toucan Sam, It Was Nice Knowing You

I feel bad for the youth of America.

A few weeks ago, I read an article in the "Dining Out" section of The New York Times denouncing the beloved kid's menu. It described how some restaurants are replacing the chicken-finger and fries filled menu with healthier "adult" alternatives.

"In short, I came to the realization that America is in the grips of a nefarious chicken-finger pandemic, in which a blandly tasty foodstuff has somehow become the de facto official nibble of our young," David Kamp describes in the article, "Don't Point That Menu at My Child, Please."

Now today, I read another article in the NYT describing how The Kellogg Company is going to phase out advertising towards children 12 and younger for products that don't meet certain nutritional requirements. Included in the list of "unhealthy" products includes Fruit-Loops, Apple Jacks, and Pop-Tarts.

I long for the days when I woke up to a bowl of fruit loops, and chomped on my chicken fingers and fries for dinner. Even now, I am trying to get my dinning hall to supply Fruit Loops.

Kid's menus were awesome. I got crayons and mazes to go along with my fantastic fried food. While adults had to laboriously cut through steak or split cookies in half, I could gorge my self with ketchup, curly fries, and fat.

I don't have a full picture of myself on this website, but I'll tell you now that I am not obese. This is for two reasons:
1) I didn't eat this unhealthy food everyday, every meal; my mom wouldn't let me.
2) I played sports, not video games.

Eating Fruit Loops and curly fries was an exceptional part of my childhood, and future generations should be able to experience the same gastric experience. Unhealthy foods shouldn't be eliminated; kids and parents should just learn how to live properly with them. Let's not take the fun out of eating.

Since I now I have such a large 12 and younger audience, here is my own, personal advertisement for Kellogg Products:

Eat Fruit Loops!
Eat Pop Tarts!
Stay Away from Apple Jacks (they're not that good).
And play P-Wee football, rec basketball, or Little League.
Not only will you stay in shape, but you might meet Harold Reynolds!

2 comments:

Esteban P. said...

.....lol XD

Esteban P. said...

Also, mind you, I was like you in eating habits, perhaps twice as often with the greasy goodness than you
BUT
I was not a sports kid. I simply had a very fast metabolism :)