Sunday, June 24, 2007

The European Space Agency Will Pay You to Go to Mars

The European Space Agency is simulating a trip to Mars, and they want you to lead the mission.

From the "Week in Review" of today's New York Times comes a short article about the European Space Agency's attempt to get participants for the 17 month long experiment. According to the brief, particpants will live in a "module of interconnected metal tanks," earning about $160/day. This comes out to roughly $58,ooo/year and $82,000 for the duration of the trip.

Something tells me that a new reality show is looming.

I would consider taking part in the experiment under three conditions:
1. I get an unlimited supply of muffins while on-board
2. I can bring the complete DVD set of "The Sopranos" (I really want to see it now)
3. This astronaut is not allowed on the trip

If the Space Agency simply allows participants to play "World of Warcraft," I'm sure thousands of people will be willing to particpate. What's better: playing "World of Warcraft" 100 hours a week in your mother's basement or playing "World of Warcraft" 100 hours a week in a simulated space capsule?

Here is a link to the ESA website in case you're interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An astute observation regarding WOW- I'm sure my younger brother would do it.