Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Top Five Cereals of All Time

When Miller and I started this blog, we had planned on doing a litany of lists. We were going to list our top movies, top musicians, top fruits, top dinner utensils, and of course our top desserts. We thought it'd start some nice conversation in the comments section, and give us a chance to share our often eccentric taste.

For some reason, two weeks since this blog's birth, we have yet to pursue this vision.

Well here's a start.

With Miller still out of town, I will hold off on listing my favorite desserts. Instead, given Kellogg's recent decision to stop marketing certain "unhealthy" products, I thought it'd be appropriate to list my top five all time cereals.

Here are some things, in addition to taste, that I considered while making the list:
-crunch factor
-presentation
-destruction time (how long it takes for milk to render the cereal inedible)
-Toys given away in the box

Nutritional value was not taken into account.

Here are the top five cereals of all time:

5. Corn-Pops
The one problem with this cereal is that you sometimes get a bad pop. However, the good ones more than make up for the few bad.

4. Fruit Loops
Maybe it's just because Kellogg actually advertised this to me when I was little, but I have always loved Fruit Loops. I think its the first cereal I ever had in milk. The color combos are a big plus as well.

3. Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Screw the milk. This cereal is tremendous when it is dry.

2. Razzle Dazzle Rice Krispie Treats

This is a real throwback. For a limited time only, this incredibly cereal was the highlight of my day. It consisted of a rainbow array of rice krispie like pieces. It is a real shame that this cereal is no longer made, yet regular Rice Kripie cereal still is.

1. Berry Berry Kix

The perfect cereal. It's good with or without milk, with or without a spoon, during breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It has it all: presentation, crunch, and a remarkable, fruity taste. When cereal was first thought up by some chef in Ancient times, Berry Berry Kix is definetely what he had in mind.

Honorable mention: Honey Combs, Honey Nut Cheerios (the fact that it lowers cholesterol was not factored into this ranking), Post Raisin Bran

Most overrated cereal of all time: Lucky Charms

Also, as a side note, cereal should never contain chocolate.

5 comments:

Esteban P. said...

Hmmm...I agree and disagree!
I never liked your top two, but I did become a decent fan of cocoa rice krispees and cocoa pebbles cereal, but hated cookie crisp (DISGUSTING) and cocoa puffs (ew.). And I was never a fan of adding milk, as I never ate it fast enough before it would totally dissolve and die.
and yea, lucky charms was unpleasant for me as well

Anonymous said...

It's borderline creepy how accurate this list is. You are too right my friend, chocolate has no place in cereal. the only iffy selection...#5. doesnt really cut it for me but at least I see where youre coming from.

Unknown said...

Cinnamon Toast Crunch all the way! And soggy Cornflakes rock. You don't know what you're missing.

Anonymous said...

i have to agree that berry berry kix are amazing...so good and mother-approved...good list...and lucky charm are SO overrated

Rachel said...

chocolate has a big place in cereal!!! you obviously have never had Nougat Bits: nutella-filled cereal. Also, granola and chocolate bits are AMAZING. you don't know what you're missing until you try it...