Friday, June 29, 2007

A Really Bad Movie

A couple days ago Miller, I, and others decided to watch the bestseller turned movie Fast Food Nation.

When we first started it, I thought it was the movie about the guy who lived on fast food for a year. I was wrong. That's Supersize Me.

About ten minutes in, I thought it would be a powerful satire in the mold of Thank You For Smoking. Wrong again.

By about a half-hour in, I finally realized what type of movie it is. It is an awful movie, in the mold of Catwoman, The Dukes of Hazard, and Rocky Five.

The movie is sloooow, boring, and hopelessly unfocused. The producers of the film probably wanted me to be absolutely repulsed by fast food after watching it. However, my craving for fast food after watching this movie was just about as strong as after watching Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

I wanted to eat fast food to spite the people who made this horrible film.

The movie was stuck in an impossible position between comedy and drama. The basic plot was that there's sh**, spit, and even human body parts in the fast food Americans devour every day. The film bounced from one subplot to another. There were the illegal immigrants working in the meat packing factory. The hardworking teenager working at the fast food cash register. The hot-shot executive investigating the poop-filled meat.

It was extraordinary how every single scene in the movie went 20-30 seconds too long. All action in a scene would end and then the camera would just zoom in on nothing for half a minute.
I admittedly did not watch the whole movie. None of us did. We couldn't take it anymore. I'd probably rather knowingly eat sh** filled meat than have to sit through that entire movie.

Tonight, I plan on watching Hoop Dreams, which Roger Ebert ranked the best movie of the 1990s. I expect it to be a bit better than Fast Food Nation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

My friend just saw this movie and I linked this review to him because he also thought it was the worst thing he'd ever seen.

And this made me laugh out loud:

"I'd probably rather knowingly eat sh** filled meat than have to sit through that entire movie."