Thursday, June 28, 2007

NBA Draft 2007: Men Wearing Nice Suits and Making Lots of Money

The NBA Draft is my favorite non-athletic sporting event of the year. Unlike the MLB and NFL draft, which are incredibly long and filled with players I've never heard off, the NBA draft is the perfect length. It's short enough so that I've heard of almost all the players (not counting the foreigners), and also so I don't have to listen to the ESPN commentators too long.

Anyway, here are some thoughts I had while watching the draft:

-Greg Oden is hilarious. During their NBA careers, I'll watch Durant in the games and Oden during the press conferences. When asked why he was fidgeting his hands so much before being picked, Oden responded that he was cleaning his hands with a wipe. He had a cold, and didn't want Commissioner Stern to get sick.

-The Sonics just got two of the three best players in this draft--Durant and Jeff Green.

-The Sprite "subliminal" commercials are absolutely horrible. Sprite embraces the fact that their commercials make absolutely no sense. I'm not an advertising expert, but to me, this strategy makes absolutely no sense. Why not just advertise the fact that Sprite is a great soda?

-According to Fran Fraschilla, Yi JianLian "is hop-hop, he's 50 Cent." As far as I know, 50 Cent is not a seven foot, white, Chinese guy who's going to flop in the NBA.

-Who's the most irrelevant team in the NBA? I vote the Sacramento Kings.

-Jay Bilas just said Spencer Hawes, who was picked tenth in the draft, is not "athletic." I'd say the "non-athletic" b-ball players were weeded out a while ago. If someone who's not athletic can get drafted to the NBA, why didn't I sign up?

-There was just a commercial for the Home Run Derby. It's going to be great to have the derby in San Fran. The kayakers are going to be very busy.

-WOW! The Knicks got Zach Randolph. Too bad I stopped caring about the Knicks when Ewing left and Isiah came.

-Marco Belinelli--what a great name. (BTW, he was picked by Golden State, and he is from Italy).

Wow, I take back everything I said earlier. It's the 23rd pick now, and I can't take it anymore. This is just too boring to watch. If anyone watches the draft till the end (God help you), feel free to add your thoughts in the comment section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, 50 cent is a very fine orchestra conductor.