Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Superbad is Supergood

I've been wanting to write that title for the past couple days. It's extraordinary how many respected publications have used it, or something like it, and I wanted to get in on the alliteration. Whenever I finally saw the film, I was going to use that title no matter what, regardless of how good the movie was.

I did see the movie last night, and the title of this post holds true. The movie was really good.

Typically, after watching a comedy, the ride home from the theater consists of a recounting of particularly funny moments.

"Oh, do you remember this part...! But how about that other scene when...! No, the best part was where....!"

The ride home from "Superbad" was not like this.

It was more like: "Wow, that was a freaking funny movie." No one scene defines it. Each scene simply melds together into two hours of great comedy. (Though, of course, there are some elementary school doodles from the movie that I might sadly never get out of my head.)

This past year, I watched "American Pie" with some kids in my college dorm. Someone won it in a raffle, and I remembered it being a pretty funny movie the first time I saw it, so I suggested we watch it. The screening was one of the more awkward, embarrassing moments of my freshman year in college. "American Pie" is only meant to be watched by those over 17 (it's rated NC-17), but it's only enjoyed but those under 17.

"Superbad" has a fairly similar plot line to "American Pie." Some high school kids want to get with girls before leaving for college. Yet beyond that, any comparison between the two films would be insulting to "Superbad." Yes, the movie is centered around high school, but it manages not to be merely a movie for high schoolers. This is an impressive feat.

While it was filled with more vulgarity than I had expected, it does not live and die with it, like those of the "American Pie" genre.

Typically, I cannot stand movies with the "dumb cop" characters. I get so frustrated. Why do incompetent cops always get in the way of justice? Yet with this film, I didn't feel that way at all. The cops definitely fit the dumb mold, but they are likable. In fact, every main character from the movie is likable. There are no bad guys. There are just abstract obstacles that have to be overcome--talking with girls, buying alcohol when you're too young, separating with your best friend before college. What male watching this film doesn't feel for Evan, Seth, and McLovin?

Ratatouille remains my favorite film of the summer, but "Superbad" sits in comfortably at second place.

(Note: There was a coming attraction for "Harold and Kumar Go to Gitmo." It just said it's coming out in 2008. I cannot wait.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your review of Superbad and agree with what you said. However, I still thing that Little Miss Sunshine was a terrific flik!