Saturday, August 11, 2007

Let's Talk About Food

I'm home in CT. Miller's home in Minny. Our summer research has come to a close, and now we have nothing to do but sleep, eat our mother's cooking, and blog. In the next few weeks, we will have a number of introspective, retrospective, metacognitive posts. We'll reflect on what we did in the lab this summer, in the blogosphere, and in our lives. We've learned a lot, and we want to share some of it with you.

Of course, mixed in with this, we'll have our usual, completely random posts.

For my first reflection, I'm going to focus on all things food. With no mom to cook, and no unlimited meal plan, I did some serious culinary exploring this summer. Here are some things I learned:

No, I don't want Ketchup, or Mayo, or Lettuce on that: I am to eating what Tim Duncan is to basketball--plain, simple, boring, predictable. This summer, I realized I'll either have to diversify my gastric portfolio or accept many more uncomfortable situations. Restaurants should love an eater like me--I pay just as much as everyone else, yet I don't get any condiments, or dressings, or sauces on anything I eat. I save them time, supplies, and thus money. Yet, when I make my order, they look down on me. They judge me. They mock me. To them, I am just a lowly rat, and they are Remy. If you ask me, all dishes should start off plain, and then people ordering should have to work their way up. It should be a turkey sandwich with mayo, not a turkey sandwich without mayo. That was bit of a rant, and I apologize, but it felt really good to get it out.

Grapes are Great: This summer reinforced my belief that grapes are the best food in existence.

The Three Amherst Restaurants Worth Eating At: Earlier in the summer, I completely bashed the Amherst food scene as expensive, limited, and simply not all that good. I've essentially done ten weeks of research and have come up with three eateries that are gems in the rough. They are reasonably priced, have a friendly atmosphere, and most importantly, serve excellent food:

-Bueno
y Sano. Burritos and quesadillas aren't my thing, but their salads are fantastic. A great post-exercise meal. In the intangibles department, I really like that, though it's not sit down, they have real silverware. This is officially my favorite place to eat in Amherst.

-Rao's
. The best muffins in town.

-The Lone Wolf. In an ideal world, breakfast food would be served for every meal. In this ideal world, I wouldn't mind eating at the Lone Wolf all the time. From crepes to Challah french toast, this quick service sit down restaurant should not be overlooked.

Raspberry, White Chocolate Moose is the best yogurt combo ever.

Would you like some Anti-Viral Software with your order?: Early on in the summer, I noticed that at Subway there was a sign explaining how you could place an order on-line and then pick it up on the spot. I never did this, because I found it somewhat ridiculous. However, it turns out that on-line food ordering is become widely used. In an article from last week's Sunday Styles, Stephanie Rosenbloom explains that a growing number of people use on-line services to make their fast food purchasing as efficient and hassle free as possible. It's an interesting read. Next up for the fast food industry: allowing consumers to print out the food straight from a computer. Until then, I think I'll stay away from ordering food on-line.

Instant Oatmeal, So Hot Right Now: By my rough estimate, after counting the empty the boxes, Miller and I had over 110 individual instant oatmeal packets this summer for breakfast. Nothing's better for waking you up in the morning. I'm not addicted to caffeine, I'm addicted to Quaker Oats Cinnamon and Spice Instant Oatmeal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's "meta-cognitive"? Halfway asleep?

Pancakes, for dinner? The horror!

Esteban P. said...

1) So totally agreed with your semi-rant at the early start of your post. I go to gourmet burger restaurants and go Bun-meat-cheese, MAYBE mustard and ketchup if it's available, but I dislike vegetable vagrants in my meals.
For example, at Black Sheep, I ordered a honey ham on sourdough with mustard. The guy asked me three times if I was sure that was all I wanted on my sandwich. The sandwich was tiny for the $8 at least that I payed, and it didn't fill me up at all. It was, however, delicious. STILL, SADNESS D:

2)try strawberries.

3)As to your restaurant choices, I can only critique the first. I have not had their salads, however I have had their burritos, and they a SAD AND PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR MEXICAN FOOD. Unless you super-condimentize it, the thing is bland, bland, bland. The meat alone or rice alone should have FLAVOR, not giant chunks of badly diced tomato that fails to flavor anything. Thus, for those seeking hispanic cuisine in Amherst, don't bother, you'll only be dissapointed more and more.
Rao's, haven't tried.
Lone Wolf, been curious but frightened for I am a picky eater and their seemingly affordable foods also seem rather eccentric. PERHAPS YOU COULD INTRODUCE ME THIS COMING SEMESTER AT SOME POINT?

Although, I say you haven't given due credit to Pasta E Basta or Fresh Side. You get a rather decent portioned size lasagna or pasta dish for less than $10, and you can order it to go, and even request that they include some of the complimentary bread. Fresh Side is... ok, loved by some, and I found it really good but then progressively more bland- there is need for soy sauce to add flavourings, and some of their wraps get cold fast.

Also, did you know you can order delivery online for Antonio's, Panda East, Pasta E Basta, and a few other establishments? Any of the restaurants associated with delivery express can be done via the net. It's fairly convenient and I saw Tristan and Alex abuse this fact to all hell :P


Ok, I think that's all I wished to comment on. I hope you found my thoughts insightful somehow perhaps :P