Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Vegan Dessert Question of the Week!

On Monday, I rediscovered the Norwottuck Bike Trail, which passes through Amherst College and stretches all the way to Northampton. I went on it early in the fall, but since then, had pretty much forgotten about it.

It is awesome for running. Flat, shady, and perfectly straight.

Apparently, it is not awesome for biking. A kid on my floor said he no longer bikes on the trail since it gave him flat tires.

I think I might know why.

On the paved path, you can clearly see tiny pieces of glass embedded in the pavement. Today, on my run, I noticed a sign saying that Amherst residents had donated glass bottles which were subsequently put into the pavement.

Why? What is the sense in this?

Amherst being the town it is, I thought it might be some super environmentally friendly, recycling campaign. But I don't understand. Why not reuse the glass, rather than sticking it into the ground and messing up kids' bikes?

This doesn't affect me as a runner, and I'm going to keep going on the great trail. I was just hoping someone could explain this strange move to place glass into the path.

No comments: