Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Top Five Disney World Rides

Today over dinner, someone mentioned to me that a Harry Potter amusement part is in the making somewhere in Orlando. I hadn't heard of it, but it turns out, my friend was right. A 20 acre "Theme Park within a Theme Park" is being built within Universal Studio's Island of Adventures.

Seems like a pretty safe bet on Universal's part. I doubt the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" will go the way of the "Carousel of Progress." Harry Potter is such an enormous franchise already (I heard today that a camp at Amherst has a Harry Potter theme).

Anyhow, more importantly, at that same dinner, my friend said that he was too old for Disneyland. He's going to L.A. for vacation and he's not going to hit up the Magic Kingdom.

What?

Too old for Disneyland? Not possible. Ok, maybe Julio Franco is too old for Disneyland. But other than that, no one.

Yes, there are some rides that I've outgrown. No Dumbo for me the next time I go to Orlando. But even when I'm too old to go on any rides, or maybe just the people mover, it'd still be worth the trip. The Disney amusement parks are not defined by the rides, they're defined by the atmosphere. Strangely, probably my fondest Disney memory is is simply riding on the monorail, seeing the different Disney hotels and amusement parks along the way--realizing that I'm staying in some completely made up world where there are no consequences beyond puking after a ride or loosing my parents for a few hours.

But I can't rank the atmosphere, so I'll rank the rides. Here are the top five Disney World rides. I'm not ranking Disneyland, since I haven't been there for a long time. Keep in mind that I haven't been to Disney for at least five years.

This was my most difficult list yet--there are so many great rides to choose from.

5. Jungle Cruise: It's funny, but I think the greatest thing about this ride is the lack of detail. If a similar ride were constructed today, you'd hardly be able to tell if the animals were real. However, the Jungle Cruise glorifies its fakeness. Also, the human element of the ride is a big plus--the best actors in Hollywood become Jungle Cruis tour guides, the second rate actors head to the big screen.

4. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: Unlike any ride I've ever been on. Yeah, I have ridden on other intereactive rides, but never did I actually think my gun was working and that the competition was fair. The only problem with this ride--I sucked at aiming my gun.

3. Haunted Mansion: This ride is emlbamatic of Disney's greatness. The ride itself is not too exciting, but the unbelievable attention to detail elevates it to an all time great experience. It has the stretching room, the jovial ghosts, the witty headstones. Most amusement parks have a haunted house to simply fill up room. They're not scary since the rider always knows what's coming. The Haunted Mansion, however, does not try to scare you with dripping blood or dangling skeletons. I just tries to entertain you, and it succeeds wonderfully.

2. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Very underrated. So many turns and unexpected drops. It's a fun roller coaster. Never are you scared out of your mind (i.e. Superman at Six Flags New England). Instead you are laughing, smiling, and joking with the person next to you.

1. Rockin Roller Coaster: A roller coaster with a story line. Because it's indoors, the ride is not too gut-wrenching, but the blaring music and great scenary contribute to making this the best ride at Disney World.

Honorable Mention: Space Mountain, Cranium Command, the Monorail, the Carousel of Progress, Living with the Land, The Great Movie Ride

Freakfest: Alien Encounter. I'm not sure if this ride still exists, but it was one of the scariest ten minutes of my life. Not at all what you expect from Disney.

Snoozefest: Hall of Presidents

Cryfest: Tommorrow Land Indy Speedway. My legs were never long enough ;(

Barf-fest: Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Foodfest: Dole Pineapple spears by the Tiki Room

Overrated: Spash Mountain

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of comments.

1. You haven't been to Disney World in ages. I think that if you went now you'd be put off by the hyper commercialization you were never aware of as a kid.

2. "No Dumby for me the next time I go to Orlando." Dumby? Are you talking about me?

3. What happened to the carousel of progress?

Esteban P. said...

Space mountain is fantastic and it should have been higher on your list. I was at Disneyland last summer. BEST ride out of all of them.

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp debt consolidation
debt consolidation loan