Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Hits of Summer

The biggest musical event of the summer has yet to take place. September 11, 2007 Kanye West and 50 Cent are coming out with CDs on the same freaking day. Sick.

But this is the wrap-up week for this blog, and I have to say a little bit about the summer in music.

Since I lived in a college dorm for ten weeks of the summer, and very rarely drove anywhere, the summer hits some how never got old. Unlike past years, where I came to dread the hits of summer, this year I would scan the radio while driving, simply looking for the 5-10 songs that defined the season.

Out of all songs, I'd be happiest to come across "Umbrella" by Rihanna on the radio. I have no idea what the hell the umbrella symbolizes (if anyone does, please comment), but the song is great. I can easily sing (technically scream) along with it, and you can't go wrong with Jay-Z.

In a close second comes "The Way I Are" by Timbaland. What a beat. I couldn't stop playing the opening beat on my trumpet after hearing the song for the first time. The song as a whole falls apart a bit in the middle with the rapping, and that's why it's not my favorite hit of the summer, but overall, I was just a bit excited when this song came along on the radio.

The whole summer, I wasn't sure how to feel about "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie. Can a guy like this song? Am I allowed to blast it on my radio? This awkwardness ruined the song for me.

As for the best album I listened to this summer, it's without a doubt "Best of George Benson the Instrumentals." I ripped the guy apart in an earlier post, but this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Benson does not sing at all, yet I constantly found myself singing to his guitar. This CD was perfect for listening to during a long day in the lab. I highly recommend it for homework listening.

Of course, I have to mention my trip to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, and my fulfillment of a life long dream--seeing Tower of Power! in concert. They were somehow better than I expected. If you get a chance, see them live. Read this too (it's one of my better posts of the summer).

Some quick hits:

Summertime by Will Smith. Recommended by brother. You must listen to it before the summer is over.

Encore, Jay-Z and Linkin Park Remix. Currently my favorite song.

Common=good. Listen to him.

The Official Song of the VD=Basketball, but Kurtis Blow.
See YouTube video at bottom of post. Make sure to not only listen to the song but also watch the music video.

I'm sorry that this was a bit of a ramble, but now that I'm back at Amherst, my mind is awash. I promise my final few posts will be more direct and fluent. I've been mapping them out in my head for weeks.

(Note: The photo shows Kanye, Diddy, and 50 performing together two days ago. They, along with Jay-Z, made a surprise appearance at MSG's "Scremfest." Read about it in the NYT.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about Bartender, by T-Pain? That's my favorite song of the summer. Which, actually, means it was a disappointing summer.

2 songs you gotta check out:
1. Area codes
2. Saturday
Both by luda. DTP!